Blueberries are going to disappear soon so I wanted to get in one more summer dessert. Look at this beautiful Paleo Blueberry Lemon Bread.
I am a creature of habit and I live for rituals in life. This gives me consistency in my schedule that can be chaotic at times. Every Sunday morning I wake up, eat breakfast, and hit up my favorite Farmer’s Market in town. The first place I like to visit is the gluten-free bakery booth for Pao de Queijo (just a fancy way of saying Brazilian cheese bread.) My daughter will get one with plain and one with olive, which she eats immediately. If you have not tried these breads with tapioca flower, you are missing out and I recommend you get on it immediately. I permit you to stop reading this article in order to go get bread now. Right now. This may mean there is a new recipe post coming soon.
After we get our cheese bread I visit my favorite farmers for their organic and seasonal vegetables so I can plan my week’s meals as I go. There is something about having a connection with the people who grow the food you eat. I always give thanks for the ability to access fresh, local, organic produce all year.
OK, so now let’s talk about this blueberry lemon bread
As I mentioned it is completely grain free.
On our rounds at the Farmer’s Market, we usually run into our local organic blueberry farmers. I can never resist buying a huge basket of luscious blueberries to eat while we shop. Knowing that this was probably the last week that we would see them at the market for this season, I stocked up. And this is what I made:
This loaf came out amazingly moist and delicious. It’s loaded with protein-rich almond flour, nutrient-dense eggs, and oh-so-good-for-you coconut oil. Without the lemony sweet glaze, you could eat this for breakfast. But please… don’t skip the glaze. It’s the best part.
Hope you enjoy!
Paleo Blueberry Lemon Bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 1/3 cup raw honey or organic maple syrup
- 3 tbsp organic lemon juice
- zest from organic 2 lemons
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups fresh organic blueberries
For the Glaze:
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, softened
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp raw honey or organic maple syrup
- 2 tbsp organic lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350′ F. Grease a loaf pan and cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of pan.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Spread one third of the batter onto bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the blueberries on top. Spread another third of the batter and another third of the blueberries. Repeat one more time with the remaining batter and berries.
- Bake 32-37 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cover with foil if top begins to brown too much. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While loaf cools, prepare the glaze by whisking together all of the glaze ingredients. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a glossy, liquidy, smooth consistency. Once loaf has cooled, remove from pan and pour glaze over top of loaf, letting it drips down the sides. Enjoy!!
Featured Image: EatLocalGrown
(Visited 187 times, 1 visits today)